[Advaita-l] A study of a chapter of the book `BhAmatI-samAlochanam'.

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:22:06 CDT 2010

> Oh no, avidyA is certainly not a purely epistemological device. It
> also has ontological characteristics as it is responsible for the
> appearance of space, time and all objects. As avidyA is essentially
> the superimsposition of pramAtR^itvam on the Atman it would be more
> accurate to say that the distinction of ontology and epistemology is a
> consequence of avidyA.

That is precisely what I was driving at! Thanks for putting it so succinctly.
Even for systems of thought that do not accept avidyA, self-consistency
requires a meeting point for ontology and epistemology at some point. The
two cannot be entirely distinct and unrelated to each other.

Regards,

Vidyasankar