[Advaita-l] "adhikarins" and the continuation of the body after jnana

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Apr 19 07:28:00 CDT 2010

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri Vidya prabhuji :

Bhaskar, please clarify the above. IYO, is Sankara bhagavatpAda accepting
jIva-jIva and jIveSvara bheda in special cases only, thereby contradicting
himself deliberately/unintentionally?

>  Kindly pardon me if I am argumentative here with your goodself. What
exactly can we derive from the literal meaning of this bhAshya vAkya??
(infact I had read this yAvadadhikArAdhikaraNa before mentioning the name
'apAntaratama' to Sri subbu prabhuji)See, here shankara telling jnAni-s
(ofcourse after Atma jnAna) are the 'followers' of IshwarAjna...and they
are 'adhikArins' to do so!!  Dont you think prabhuji, even for the jnAni-s
(who are again jeeva-s but with brahma jnAna) there is brahman in saguNa
rUpa and this personalized brahman (saguNa brahman) is instructing these
brahma jnAni-s to do jnAna prachAra??  I am not telling here jeeva-jeeva
bheda & jeveshwara bheda and eternal 'saguNatva' of brahman are acceptable
for shAnkara ONLY on special occassions!! have I said anywhere like
that??...What I am trying to say here is as per literal reading of the
bhAshya vAkya, in my opinion (kindly note IMO) it gives us the impression
that jeeva-jeeva bheda, jeeva-Ishwara bheda & saguNatva of brahman are
eternal as pAramArthika satya..IMO (I repeat IMO) we cannot say this bheda
is in kevala vyAvahArika drushti, coz. we are taking about the pAramArtika
status of SOME set of jnAni-s, who are still seeing & communicating with
saguNa brahman even after jnAnOdaya & more importantly 'dEhapAta'.

What do you mean by vAchyArtha of the commentary?

> I mean plain reading of the bhAshya vAkya 'as it is'!!!

Do you mean that we have to apply a lakshaNArtha to the bhAshya in order
to understand it so as to remove this contradiction?

>  I think it is necessary to understand this bhAshya vAkya in such a way
that it should not compromise advaita's parama siddhAnta i.e. Atmaikatva!!

If so, what is this lakshaNArtha?

>  Kindly pardon me I donot know the lakshyArtha...I am trying to convey
the implications of literal reading of this bhAshya vAkya..

What does Sri SSS say about this sUtra and its bhAshya?

>  Nothing special in Sri SSS's Kannada translation prabhuji...But I donot
know the need for bringing Sri SSS name here when I am saying
It-Is-ONLY-in my opinion...Should I not get any doubts on my own
prabhuji??

I will save my own thoughts on this adhikaraNa for later, but it seems to
me that you are under a fundamental misunderstanding here.

>  Again, I did not claim that I am right in my observation, just I am
stating my opinion based on plain reading of the bhAshya vAkya..If the
vAchyArtha is giving us some special meaning apart from what I said with
the example of 'eternal individuality of bubble in the water, kindly
enlighten me prabhuji.

>  prabhuji, sadly, I regret to say, nowadays, there is an inadvertent
hurried approach in your remarks on my mails..I wish I am wrong here
anyway..

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar