[Advaita-l] jayanti of madhusUdana sarasvatI

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 16:52:17 CDT 2010

> Dear Vidyasankarji,
>
> Was Madhousoodana Saraswati somehow connected to the Naga sanyashis as well as to the reign of a Muslim king.?

Popular legend has it that Sri Madhusudana Saraswati was contemporaneous
with Akbar, the Moghul emperor, and that he formalized the current structures
of the warrior nAga saMnyAsin-s. Apparently, this was done to counter the raids
by Mughal army camps and other sundry mercenary warriors on Hindu pilgrims,
and was done with Akbar's consent.

> Secondly I understand that Madhusoodana Saraswati wrote his bhshya on the Bhagavad Gita moe to understand the Sankara bhashya on the Bhagavad gita himself than to author a new book. Any comment?

I think there are others who have better knowledge of the gUDArthadIpikA and
other texts, who could comment on this.

Regards,

Vidyasankar