[Advaita-l] Vidya,Avidya,Brahman and holography

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 16:38:46 CDT 2009

Sri Srikanta,

I don't wish to argue with you, but I have a feeling that we invest too much
'power' to Maya as some anti-brahman.. That would put it outside Brahman,
which can't be right-- it savours of Abrahamic gods and devils  (dualities
?)

If we accept the description of some sages that maya is 'the limiting
measures' of Brahman, then ajna and jivanmukta's senses are equally
effective; they 'observe' the same objects, but ajna's mind is limited by
avarana and vikshepa.

I hope this doesn't seem like some word-play : it suggests that maya is
simply a limit --perhaps a necessary measure on the jiva ? -- with no
'power' of its own. I used to fear maya as a 'power'; now I see it as merely
a deficiency of mind (not of senses) to be 'made good'. Does that make sense
?

Michael