[Advaita-l] Thanks for the replies on should women read the Vedas?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Sep 29 00:47:26 CDT 2009

praNAms
Hare Krishna

A word of clarification would be appreciated on the following
observations.

There is also no restrictions on women being well versed in vedAnta.

>  does this mean that a woman can be a well versed one in recitation of
vedAnta vAkya-s and 'recite' vedAnta maNtra-s with svarA-s during her
discourse on vedAnta topics?? From this can we infer women can learn
vedAnta or upanishads in a traditional way and 'chant' the mantra-s with
svara-s??  Kindly clarify here whether 'well versed in vedAnta' means
recitation of vedAnta/upanishad maNtra-s & its meaning  OR mere
understanding of the vedAntic theory in general sense??

The reservations are all about women officiating as purohitas for vedic
rituals.The life of an officiating purohita is not easy. He has to always
be on call, to use contemporary jargon, to perform various rituals. Births
and deaths do not happen according to anybody's schedule. It would be so
much more difficult for a mother of dependent children to be ready to
perform a funeral on short notice, as compared to a father of the same
children.

>  does this mean, if a woman is 'free' from her physio-sociological
obligations & commitments, can do the rituals & officiate the vedic
functions??  I am not clear here restrictions on women here is due to her
obligations & commitments to the society in general & her family in
particular.

On the flip side, while there is all this debate about women learning the
vedas, the vast majority of men are abdicating their duties in this
regard. Why isn't there more debate about why there aren't more boys being
trained to be purohitas? Compared to other religions, the percentage of
the Hindu population that is getting qualified for the sacred profession
is ridiculously low.

>  I do agree that 'paurOhitya' is a sacred profession but it is equally
true that the 'saMbhAvane' in the form of 'dakshiNa' what they get is
significantly low when compared to other professions.  Here in South India
I myself seen that a professional cook would get Rs. 600 to 700 per day
whereas a R^itvik would get somewhere around 400 rupees for the whole
chandi pArAyaNa or veda pArAyaNa!!  Ofcourse, there are some exceptionally
high-standard purOhits who even have their own copter to fly from one
place to another!! I was seeing an interview in a Kannada News Channel
recently, wherein I've seen a purOhita, who is running his own temple in
US who has undergone pilot training & now running his own copter to go to
one place to another to perform vedic rituals in-time :-)) But, fate of
most of the purOhits here in India is just hand to mouth only.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar