[Advaita-l] wilhelm halbfass

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:51:40 CDT 2009

However the problem is that his assertion is that Western methods of
analysis are essentially "superior". His claim regarding critiques such as
by Said on Orientalism is essentially that Western methods can reveal their
own deficiencies and hence does not matter. While Halbfass doesn't show any
explicit superiority complexes as evidenced in many Indologists, his final
conclusion (at least to me) seems to be "We are the best, so just shut up
and listen". I am being a little brutal here for making a point, but
Halbfass seems to be just a more sophisticated pleading for status quo
rather than anything else.

Rama