[Advaita-l] Shankara, smarta and shanmata

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 04:47:15 CDT 2009

In Assam and Bengal, to my knowledge, some families traditionally follow the Smarta procedure for the rituals and other families follow the Vedic procedure ( I think it is called as Prachinna there). However in some rituals the Smarta procedure is shorter than the Prachinna procedure and one has the liberty to choose the Smarta procedure even if the traditonal procedure is the other one. In some other cases the Pracchinna procedure may be shorter and that may be preferred over the Smarta procedure. Thus there is this flexibility.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya