[Advaita-l] Shankara, smarta and shanmata

Uma and Ramakrishna puttakrishna at verizon.net
Sat Sep 26 11:40:25 CDT 2009

Michael ji,
The shanmatha is an extension of the panchAyatana, that brings in the
Worship of Skanda or Subramanya in to the integrated fold of worship.
As you may know, at the time of Shankara, there was a fragmentation of
Faith - vaishNavaites, shaivites, gANapatyas, souras and shAktya; In some
parts of the country, especially in the erstwhile Tamilnadu, there were
worshippers of SubramaNya. To bring unity among people and integrate their
Living, Shankara instituted the panchAyatana puja and shanmatha.
I have not come across smarta associated with Shankara.
Regards,
Ramakrishna.