[Advaita-l] Purusamedha - Literary and Archeological - Ref

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:04:00 CDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:58 PM, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > When a soma yAga was performed in Andhra in 2001, it was
> > done in an isolated place where no one can see.
>
> Really? How then do you know that it actually happened? Obviously, there
> had to be eye-witnesses to the event who testified to its occurrence!
>
> > I hope you
> > understand that I mean no one but the performers.
> > Again the AruNakeTuka chayana that happened in Andhra in
> > 2002 and the agnishchayana in 2008 was also perfomed in a
> > place far away where the common man cannot come there
> > unintentionally.
> >

> None of what you've said above proves that the performers of these
> sacrifices tried to hide their sacrifice from the society. They may have
> chosen a place away from the general living areas because they wouldn't want
> to be disturbed during the sacrifice.

I heard that both involved animal sacrifices, which is prohibited by the
laws enacted by the Indian government. Under these circumstances, they had
do it with reasonable secrecy. I was told that when you buy a goat for a
sacrifice its price is often doubled for the same reason. Somehow it is OK
in India to kill a goat or cow to eat, but not for a vedic sacrifice.

Ravi