[Advaita-l] women reading the Vedas

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:40:49 CDT 2009

Vijayaji,

*Women of the three varnas are not prohibited from knowing let alone
listening to the Vedas.* When I say knowing I do not mean learning to chant
by rote.  There are methods of knowing the Veda and its meaning.  It fact in
the bygone days the women knew of as much Veda by being around without
chanting it themselves.

In modern times due to the play of Kali that manifests in the emphasis of
secularism, the varnas are branded in bad light and the division is
obliterated by painting with one color of so called equality.  I have sought
to argue in this forum the total idiocy of such secularism.  This modern day
practice has obfuscated each jeeva of his/her own uniqueness and motivated
him/her to be in tandem with others as being its sole emphasis.  This has
resulted in the inability of each one to play his/her own unique role.

Vijayaji,  *You are Brahmam and would always remain so.  Learning or not
learning the Veda would not alter the fact of who you really are*.   Whether
one learns veda or not learn it, if he/she does not realize who he/she is
and what role he/she plays in this jagat, then in such ignorance whatever
that person does in this janma would be quite meaningless and be a waste of
time.

My contention that the Gayathri manthra is not to be chanted by women should
be seen in this light. Gayathri manthra motivates the intellect and good
only for men and would hinder women in the maanasic pravaaham that they have
to generate in life.  Just imagine if Seetha had accepted Raama's contention
that there is no such thing as a golden deer!  It is to the credit of the
maanasic pravaaham of Seetha that Raama who contended that the golden deer
is a maaya was himself launched in pursuit of that very maaya!  If that
power of maaya did not affect Raama then there is no play, no story.

If men were to be equally forbidden from chanting the Gayathri manthra then
all men would turn to be unintellectual and be classified as Sudhras. No
society can thrive with such thaamasic deluge.  In the same way if all men
were to chant the Gayathri then there would not be any Sudhra and the
society would turn famished and become skeletal.

If you fall prey to secularism and would contend that there is no
distinction between man and woman and that anybody can do anything as she/he
pleases then the play one would witness will be chaotic and meaningless.
Bhagavan will incarnate then to set it right.