[Advaita-l] women reading the Vedas

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 09:09:26 CDT 2009

Vijaya ji,

Previous discussion on these lists, often based on interpretations of
Manusmrti, have suggested that 'book-study' and jnana of the Veda was not
required of women; but understanding of the Veda and  Vedanta was received
by the husband from his guru, and by the wife from her husband (and thereby
strengthening the bond between them for the benefit of both: Shiva and
Shakti in human karma).

That seems to me to leave the situation open for modern interpretation.
Women seem to 'hear' the shastra in a much more practical way of
understanding than men...

OK, shoot me down after that ! :)

Michael