[Advaita-l] women reading the Vedas

vijaya1.kambhampati at tiscali.co.uk vijaya1.kambhampati at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 04:14:46 CDT 2009

Dear Advaita request list,

Sorry to go back to a few weeks ago. But there was a question
regarding whether women should read the Vedas or not.

I have been told by a source that the word 'STRI' can be split to SA +
TRI  meaning one wedded to the three gunas. This could refer to one who
is physically male or female.

So vedas can be read by one who is physically male or female so long
as they have full consciousness of the play of the three gunas within
them.

Thats what I feel is OK in todays world.

Also there have been instances of Sages teaching women the Vedas and
of women being well versed in the Vedas.

Women brahmacharinis exist in may hindu organistations doing excellent
work from a good understanding of the hindu religion.

Vijaya Kambhampati.

Internet Security tips and offers from Tiscali -  http://www.tiscali.co.uk/security