[Advaita-l] Difference between Keshava and Narayana (fwd)

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 11:15:47 CDT 2009

Dear élite Questioner,

I can only offer what the philologists tease out from these two epithets
among the thousand names of the Lord :

Keshava = 'beautiful haired' as Krishna the long-haired who slew the demon
Keshi;

Keshava = ka (Brahma) + a (Vishnu) + isha (Shiva), thus 'He who controls
Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva as the lord'

Narayana = 'God in humanity' as nara (humanity) + ayana (path or going) + i
(to go) : sole refuge of all creatures, the abode of all beings, in the
hearts of all, and the final goal.

Narayana = abode of all beings; as nara (products of the Self) + ayana
(abode);

Narayana =  Lord Vishnu, the one who relcines on the ocean of consciousness
with the serpent Shesha as his couch : nara (water) + ayana (moving).

Take one, or all !

Michael