[Advaita-l] Purusamedha

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 21 05:03:28 CDT 2009

It often occurs to me in this context, that what we lack is the record -- or
the imagination -- to project ourselves into that time and cast of mind,
when the surrender -- willing or unwilling -- of life (in times when life
was short and often violent anyway) had a spiritually elevating intention.

In Britain and Scandinavia and beyond even into the 6th century CE/AD or
later, there were 'ship burials' where the chieftain was buried with his
ship, and his loyal servants around him.. who knows what they each hoped for
in a next life ?

Michael