[Advaita-l] Purusamedha

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 06:44:07 CDT 2009

Treading cautiously on the eggshells of alleged 'evolution of society'...:

Curiously, this question has recently arisen with reference to Plato's views
in the 6th century BCE : it seems that by that time, the Greeks had
renounced human sacrifice as performed in earlier times; but still thought
that infanticide was OK; preferably by leaving the unwanted babies on the
mountain rocks, in case the gods or a passing stranger might save their
life... And they even considered acceptable in certain situations, leaving
girl babies to die..

Sociologists would say that a 'symbolic' ritual always marks this point in
time, of relinquishing the previous ritual : e.g. human sacrifice
symbolised..

Michael