[Advaita-l] yagnOpaveeta & women

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 03:05:24 CDT 2009

The Manusmriti says, "streenAm upanayana-sthAnE vivAham manurabraveet".  In
the case of women marriage is performed in place of upanayanam.  Upanayanam
earns a man a Guru while vivaaham earns a girl her Guru (her husband).

When we have doubts we approach our AachaaryaaL for clarification.  Kanchi
AachaaryaaL had clearly said that women should not chant Gayathri Manthra.

What is yagnopaveetham without Gayathri manthra?

Gayathri itself is femine and is considered the mother of the Veda.  When a
boy is initiated during the yagnopaveetham the mother is present and hears
the Gayathri upadesam given to her son and she receives the first
'abhivaadhaye' from him.  No upanayanam is possible without the mother being
present.

It is pertinent to quote the advise of Kanchi Mahaswami when someone who was
not initiated into Gayathri asked him if he can chant Gayathri.  I give
below the incident that was published.

saidevo
27 May 2007, 08:16 AM
Paramacharya and Children: Baby--Lily--Billy
author:..... SriMaTham Balu
compiler:... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
book:......... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 2, pages 177-187
publisher:.. Vanathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)

Baby--Lily--Billy

A veLLALa (farmer) devotee asked, "Can I chant the Gayatri Mantra?"

A question that creates dharma saN^katam (embarrassment to do what is
right)! Either of the two replies yes or no is bound to bring up criticism.

SriMaTham's work is to foster and preserve the Sanatana dharmas. The
confrontations that Bharat had in the last thousand years are numerous. The
Bharata samudAya (public) has always had the skills to preserve its roots,
withstanding the attacks, bending like reeds when a hurricane blows and then
raising its head once again after storm passes.

But then should SriMaTham intervene in every change? What is its share?
Today's thinking becomes obsolete tomorrow and cast away. Though no one can
control the gush of floods after it broke the dam, a day has to come when
the floods will recede and the flow is streamlined in the river?

Nobody has any knowledge if PeriyavaaL had such thoughts. But he had the
unique ability to ease a delicate situation and leave it to its natural
course.

PeiyavaaL did not give a direct reply to the devotee. "How many children you
have?" he asked.

A surprising reply came from him. "By your grace I have been bestowed with
three girls: one five years old, another three and the last six months..."

Periyavaa said: "Name one girl as Gayatri, another as Sandhya and the third
as Savitri. Call the three girls by those names. Not as Baby--Lily--Billy!

"If you thus repeatedly say the names Gayatri--Sandhya--Savitri, you would
get the puNyA (fruits) of Gayatri Mantra chanting."

The devotees face displayed his happiness. Periyavaa had given him his
anugraha of clarity of thought, when he was hesitating to take up an act
that was against the sampradAya (tradition).

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Sunil Bhattacharjya <
sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> In all such contentious issues we have to see what the Dhramashastra
> says. Manu says that the before marriage a girl has to be protected by the
> father. Under these conditions can a girl be sent to Gurukula unless the
> gurukula is in the girl's own home, ie. the father himself conducts the
> Vedic studies? Manu says that the Dharma shastra is based on the Veda. It is
> another thing that to maintain the superiority it is said that in case
> of conflict the opinion of the Veda is supreme, though any such conflict has
> never been reported, To my knowledge while the girl has to be always under
> the father's protection the boy is alloweed to be under the protection of
> his guru. This itself shows that this is the primary criterion why girls are
> not sent to acquire Vedic education. But there have been instances where the
> girls did study the Vedas from their own fathers.
>
> Now that the girl has to be in home where her father (in his absence of
> father where her brother or her next caretaker) is she is given other
> appropriate tranings (depending on what the father can provide) to equip her
> for playing the required roles in life.. She may not be given access to the
> Veda and the upanayanam may not be requred, if her father is not an acharya
> himself.

Secondly we have to keep in mind that there is verse (whch I do not recall