[Advaita-l] yagnOpaveeta & women

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:31:48 CDT 2009

The idea of upanayanam is to initiate Gayathri Manthra in the Vatu who is
getting into adolescence.  Gayathri Manthra is a prayer for inciting the
intellect so it knows the real from the unreal.

This world is unreal and is held to be real by the mind.  The unreal is
negated only by the intellect.  So the the mind and the intellect are
opposites.

In our concept the mind is a feminine personification.  The karma kaanda of
the Veda is dedicated to the Mind and the Gnana Kaanda is dedicated to the
intellect.  A girl getting into adolescence is given bhooshanam for the role
that she has to play from then on and the boy on the contrary gets a
kOmaNam!

Hope people understand why unanayanam is not done for the girls.

*(See my second Musing based on this concept).*