[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Veda-s & its apaurusheyatva

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 5 08:11:26 CDT 2009

Dear Michaelji,

One should not forget there is a  great difference between Hinduism (including its daughter religions such as Buddhism, Jainism) and the Semitic religions in that the former believes in rebirth and the latter not. Thus moving from one to the other means a paradigm shift.

Secondly there is no upper limit of knowledge in Hinduisn in the sense that nothing comes in way of the  the seeker in his pursuit for the ultimate knowledge.  Sir Abdullah Suhrawardy quoted a Hadith in the book "The sayings of Muhammad", according to which the prophet said that he got two types of knowledge from God and that he could give his followers only one type of knowledge as they would not be able to assimilate the other type (of knowledge.  The prophet in his best judgement might have found it that way. Why then compare the religions? The bhakti to the Lord alone is emphasised there.

Thirdly  Bhakti's prominance does not appear in Advaita? Bhakti is very nice and wonderful but Advaita has some reservation for Bhakti. Remember Adi Sankaracharya said "Bhaktyarthakalpitam Dvaitam Advaitadapi Sundaram". Bhakti without Jnana is not the Advaita's cup of tea.

Then in the Bhagavad Gita the Lord said about Lokasangraha. The knowledge of the Vedas is for all. One who cannot read the Vedas can have the Puranas and the epics to get the taste of the Vedic knowledge. If any non-Hindu likes to come to Hinduism due to that person's genuine interest then that person should be welcome to do so. Vishwamitra was born as a Kshatriya but he strived hard to become a Brahman and he did succeed. One thing a person has to take care is that  in that process the person should not shirk off the responsibilities incumbent on him by birth or his past karma.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya