[Advaita-l] Names of Rsis

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 05:01:02 CDT 2009

Narayan, namaste

I can't speak for the rishis, and I'm not one of the knowledgeable ones
here, but here's my experience as a non-Hindu (dalit?...):

On account of some work I'd done in the area of Hinduism, I was unexpectedly
invited to take darshan of a Paramahansa in private audience..

I was reluctant, since  I wasn't prepared with spiritual questions which I
might otherwise have been with more time...and I felt I would be wasting His
time and shakti..

However I was pressed to take the opportunity. In the course of the (rather
uncomfortable) darshan, I asked if requesting a sacred Hindu name would be
appropriate for me in my spiritual development. 'Yes, if you identify with
it.. '

Without further request, I was given the name.  When I went to look it up in
the Puranic Encyclopaedia, I realised that it fitted both my weaknesses and
my strengths,,,

I don't use it publicly out of respect for Hindus who I think don't like
Westerners assuming suchlike appurtenences...but I keep it close to learn
from it.
And I think that's the point : whether karma provides your forename through
parents, family, or paramahamsa -- treasure it as a karmic message to
yourself...

Michael