[Advaita-l] Veda-s & its apaurusheyatva

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 12:38:47 CDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Michael
Shepherd<michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> You know perfectly well what I meant ! 'Veda' means wisdom; and that is
> available in any language. As my full posting made clear.

No, of course I didn't know what you were trying to say - why would I
reply otherwise?

> And for that matter, the four Sanskrit Veda have also been translated into
> 'all tongues'. So those too are now available to all the world as pramana:
> the 'means to valid knowledge'. As is the Qu'ran for those who  find wisdom
> there ?

Let me repeat: the only pramANa for brahmAtma-aikya is the vedas (and
derivative sMR^iti) - not the Quran, nor anything else. No doubt there
is "wisdom" to be found in many different texts, no one is disputing
that, but the wisdom of non-duality is from the veda alone.

> And are not Brahman and Atman names for what is in all human beings ?
> Otherwise, why study to know them ?
>
> Need I say that no insult was intended, no dilution of authority ?

It certainly did not seem so to me. And if the Quran is equally a
pramANa for non-dual knowledge, isn't the dilution of authority rather
explicit?

Rama