[Advaita-l] Veda-s & its apaurusheyatva

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 07:42:42 CDT 2009

Hari Om, again, Michael-ji,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Michael
Shepherd<michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, the mantras to which all Hindus devote themselves so assiduously every
> day give them a huge advantage over the rest of the world. So Hindu
> missionaries should be flooding the rest of the world, converting thousands
> without aid of cash...

Why do I feel that you didn't say that with a straight face there? :)
In any case, if that was a serious tone, indeed, conversion is
hardly a good thing. I remember an incident from a book on HH
Chandrashekara Bharati Swamiji of Sringeri. One westerner wrote to
Swamiji requesting to be converted to Hinduism! Swamiji replied that
since he was born in a particular faith, it was best suited for
him to pursue his spiritual advances in that faith, indicating that
the progress, then, would be faster.

> Meanwhile the rest of us look at such as yourself with discreet envy, and
> struggle to ascend the foothills of the spiritual Himalayas, gazing with
> admiration at your example from the unworthiness of our karma... :)

Why do I feel the same thing about this one too? :) Anyways... from
that story above, there is no envy necessary. Even if you don't
take away a thing from the story, be rest assured, I've got nothing
for anyone to be envious about.

I remain the common Self (that you and I are),
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */