[Advaita-l] Mithya and Maya

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 04:30:52 CDT 2009

Translating Sanskrit into English is full of traps, isn't it ?!

'Brahma satyam, jagad mithyaa', from Shankara's viewpoint, is a universal statement for us to absorb -- 'Brahman is real, the world is not real..' or 'false' in some translations; and very much Shankara's basic message -- perhaps even more needed in his time.

But for the individual, even when that statement is heard, and working his or her way through the maya, bhrama, advidya etc, this is a matter for buddhi to discriminate moment by moment; with help or without..

So when we are presenting this to students in English, we tend to use a gentler and more practical approach, by saying 'Only Brahman is real; the world merely seems to be..'
This, I find is less daunting and more practical for students. And it is within the definition of mithya.
In other words, it's a matter of where you stand as an individual at any moment.

To bring in 'impermanence' or 'passing' or 'transient' or 'always becoming' etc seems to me to be a red herring, a separate issue from mithya, however true in itself; since as already said, it is all Brahman even in its 'transience'.

Michael