[Advaita-l] Veda-s & its apaurusheyatva

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Sep 2 01:04:02 CDT 2009

You may be able to reconcile such details in the Veda by taking them to be
anuvada (restatement). The vedas serve as a pramana only to those
revelations that are beyond the ken of sensory data (pratyaksha anumanadi
pramanas). We can easily view matters that deal with things we already
know
of as anuvada and those that are eulogistic as arthavada. Therefore the
apaureshatva of the vedas are not shaken by anuvada.

praNAms Sri Kathirasan prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes you are right veda-s are dealing with a subject which is beyond the
reach of pratyaksha & anumAna.  Shankara too makes this point clear in
sUtra bhAshya (2-1-6) rUpAdyabhAvAt hi nAyamarthaH pratyakshasya gOcharaH,
lingAdhyabhAvAccha na anumAnAdeenAM, AgamamAtra samadhigamya eva tu
ayamarthaH dharmavat'.  Here shankara says for brahma jignAsa, neither
pratyaksha nor anumAna is helpful, like in dharma jignAsa, only shAstra
/Agama is the means.  But IMHO, by this, we cannot establish the
'aparusheyatva' of scriptures...For that matter even in paurusheya smruti
texts too we can find plently of revelations which are beyond the reach of
sensory data.

Hope I am not stretching this beyond its scope.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar