[Advaita-l] Purusamedha

BV Giri research at devavision.org
Tue Sep 1 06:53:02 CDT 2009

Namaskaram,
I am writing a thesis on certain elements of Yajur Veda and I am somewhat
confused regarding the Purushamedha

It seems quite confusing as to where the Vedas stand on this issue. The
Purusa-medha seems to strongly to suggest that in the Vedic period, human
sacrifices were performed by Brahmanas. Many scholars say that the
Purusa-medha was only symbolic and nobody was really killed. However, in the
Satpatha Brahmana texts and also in Bhagavata Purana we find the story of
Sunahsepha, who was chosen as a sacrificial victim by the brahmanas and was
almost offered in sacrifice.

Anyhow, I am not interested in scholars speculations. I am more interested
in what sampradayik Vaisnavas have to say on this matter. Could you find
time to ask any Sri or Madhva scholars what the Purusa-medha was about and
if anyone was actually sacrificed. If it was symbolic, how do we account for
the story of Sunahsepha?

What do purvacaryas say about the Purusamedha?

BV Giri