[Advaita-l] Mithya and Maya

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 04:37:32 CDT 2009

Bhagavan's powers of, on the one hand, veiling, and on the other hand, revealing, are a matter for sustained reflection !

Some say it is for the protection of truth itself..or perhaps to draw us towards vidya.

Part of my own reflections, is that we use maya, mithya, bhrama and avidya as more or less synonymous.

Yet mithya has the root mith, which the dictionary gives as to dispute angrily, or to altercate !

And maya has the equally surprising root maa, to measure, limit, give form.

Bhrama hovers between 'error, illusion, hallucination, perplexity'; and avidya can mean 'not knowing' in the sense either of being innocent of knowledge, or deliberately denying it !

So despite the tendency to see  maya as the enemy of true thought... maybe we should engage in mithya with those who have not seen the truth of things; and view maya as the beautiful sari concealing the beauty of the real form ! :)

Michael