[Advaita-l] Mithya and Maya

Dr D Bharadwaj dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 00:34:42 CDT 2009

Dear Shyam,

I do not contend that the jagat is, indeed, ephemeral, transient,
impermanent etc. I am sure Sri Sankara had meant this too.

But I am not sure that the word 'mithya' connotes something like 'anithya'
it as a 'meaning'. Can you check it?

The word may not mean 'false' in the sense of 'non existing'. But it may
mean false in the sense of seeming to be what it is truly not or not being
what it seems to the senses, say like a mirage or silveriness in a shell  or
a rope that 'seems' like a snake.

We can aver that the jagat is 'not false' only from the point of view of the
perception of the senses, indriyas.

Since, now, the gross perception is more widely and insistently accepted
than before, and trying to exclude other perceptions as 'false' in turn, we
seem to feel 'uncomfortable' in accepting the epithet, 'false'. It should
not be so for those who acknowledge possibility of the other perception from
which this sense limited perception is indeed 'false'. We need not be
apologetic about that 'meaning'. It is like the one that wakes up  from
sleep choosing to call the dream perception 'false'.

*SrIramaNArpaNamastu*

Dr. D. Bharadwaj
drdbharadwaj at gmail.com
dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com