[Advaita-l] saMnyAsa and brAhmaNas (was RE: Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping as mutually supportive)

Suresh Marur suresh.marur at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 23:56:20 CDT 2009

I do not claim authority based on scriptures for my comment. At some level,
looking for scriptutal sanction becomes a theoretical debate and a purely
intellectual exercise.

Leaving aside what the scriptural injuctions (or the lack of) may be, it is
eventually question of when one is (or I am) ready for Samnyaasa. That in my
mind will come ONLY when the vairagya is so strong that there is no
attachment to worldly pursuits and  the ego is ripe enough to start on the
last leg to liberation.

To me samnyaasa is not like a "decision"one takes like embarking on a
journey. The urge for liberation to that ego would be so intense that there
is NO value for the world as those caught up in samsaara view it. Once
there, it is of no consequence what varna the person belongs to. I can only
conclude that at that point Sanyaasa "happens" much as we all grow and
become adults.

Varnas are after all artifacts of samsara and Dharma which are to be
transcended on the way on liberation.

- Suresh