[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 16:44:05 CDT 2009

Dear Shrishaji,

When we talk about the customs should we not refer to the Dharmashastras, which have the sanction of the Shruti. Manu did say who can drink Soma and who should abstain from it. Manu also said why one should not eat meat and if one wants to eat meat what one must do. Manu said which meat should not be taken and which fish one should take. Manu was against hypocrisy so he did not say that one has to offer the animal to god and then take the meat as prasad. If one wants to take meat one should not feel shy of admitting it but one has to follow certain customs. One can think about the ratonale of that custom oneself. These rules are for the ones living in this world and everybody has to respect these. However a Vratya may be above these rules. A true vratya is Alinga and he does not care what the world says about him. He may not desire to eat meat yet he may eat meat if offered to him as he would take it as Brahman.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya