[Advaita-l] Rebirth

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 00:11:10 CDT 2009

2009/10/25 Vishy <vishy1962 at yahoo.com>:
<<yes sir, this is quite logical extension of microcosm. But as we can
see " i" as an illusiory thought at micro levelĀ  Eswara aslo a bugger
illusion at macro level, at least I think so. The movement small 'i'
dissappears the big "I" also has to disappear ....Isnt it??>>

It depends on what you mean by Ishvara. Technically, what is mithyA is
the superimposition of attributes on brahman. This includes the
attributes of jIvatva as well Ishvaratva. So one could say that
Ishvara is as real or unreal as the jIva or the jagat. As brahman,
both Ishvara and jIva are real. However, both jIvatva and Ishvaratva
are mithyA.

One also has to understand mithyA properly. Something that is mithyA
is not going to magically disappear when jnAna dawns. It is merely
understood to be non-different from brahman. If something were to
simply disappear, it would mean that its abhAva or absence would be
perceived, and that abhAva would become different from brahman!!

One may also adopt dRShTi-sRShTi-vAda which provides a different
methodology altogether.

Ramesh