[Advaita-l] Sannyasa and Ramana (was Re: Sankara on sannyAsa for Steadiness in GYAna)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 20:22:36 CDT 2009

--- On Fri, 10/23/09, D.V.N. Sarma <dvnsarma at gmail.com> wrote:

> If that makes you feel that Bhagavan
> took sannyasa asrama
> I have no objection.
>
> I was under the impression that we are discussing
> ritualistic
> sannyasa as a prerequisite to jnana. It was this
> ritualistic
> sannyasa that the official of Sringeri mutt requested Sri
> Bhagavan
> to submit to. The custodians of Hindu dharma obviously did
> not
> recognise Sri bhagavan as sannyasi.

You have been misinformed about Sringeri Math's opinion of Ramana Bhagavan:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2002-April/023659.html

"When Ramana was alive, almost all the traditional Advaita leaders
commended his attainment, including the Acharyas of Puri, Sringeri and
Kanchi, and there are records to prove it. The seniormost Sankaracharya
then, Swami Sivabhinava Narasimha Bharati of Sringeri, even told some
people that Ramana did not need to formally wear the sannyasin's ocher
robes, and to formally take the sannyasin initiation. That was a big issue
for traditional people in south Indian society. This has been reported
both in the Ramanashramam's magazine, The Mountain Path, and in Sringeri's
magazine, Tattvaloka. The very first issue of The Mountain Path carries a
benedictory message officially conveyed from Sringeri."