[Advaita-l] Learning sanskrit and structured learning of Hinduism

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 07:07:30 CDT 2009

Magesh,

There are several books on learning Sanskrit now, including one in the
extensive 'Teach Yourself' series -- which some Sanskrit teachers favour for
its translation texts from original shastras.

For a general survey, 'A Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy' by Radhakrishnan
and Charles Moore, has selected texts in English translation from Advaita
etc.

It's not everybody's choice, but Kauai's 'Dancing with Shiva' Shaivite
website reprints some serious discussions on parents and children in the
Hindu tradition.

Finally, the 'Hindupedia' website has been specifically set up to acquaint
the children of the diaspora with their tradition. It's still in process of
development, but in my opinion it already contains some exemplary articles,
both original and selected from elsewhere. It manages to steer a sensible
line for contemporary Hindus, IMHO.

Michael