[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 21:44:27 CDT 2009

Michaelji,

You were asking whether we can see a mutual support -- each day -- between these states and  if we know that it may aid our sadhana. I guess you are trying to find out whether the transition from one state  to the other is abrupt or smooth and also whether the transitions are voluntary or involuntary.

Let me assume that it is so  All the states are co-existing in the sense that when we close our eyes the faculty of seeing is off and our imaginations/dreaming may start. We can still hear and if someone calls us or touches us, we respond. While sleeping the other faculties too become dormant and we have lesser interruptions in dreaming and we will wake up only if we hear a loud noise or in any such event. At that stage it is more a voluntary action to go to sleep ie. to go to that dream state  unless our body is extremely tired and speep is forced upon us. However if we are yogi and have practised thought control then we may not see
dreams while sleeping  and though our body will get rest yet we shall remain alert.

But going from the dream state to the deep sleep state is involuntary for the ordinay people. A Yogi can probably control the deep sleep in the sense what sleeping  means to us, the ordinary people and remain alert. I suppose when the deep sleep becomes voluntary we are surely on the way to Turiya. I think to observe the continuity of the all the three states is possible only to a yogi and once that is achieved evrything is achieved.

Regards,

Sunil