[Advaita-l] waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 16:05:43 CDT 2009

Praveen ji,

Thank you. There are several arguments that could be adduced for the
simultaneity of the three -- or rather four -- states, I suggest :
They are present together in our ordinary memory;
They are present together in the present moment, which is the only
experience;
They are present together in turiya, which is our eternal gift;
They are present together in siksha, the eternal witness of the self.

So surely they are mutually supportive in our sadhana !

The pandits may correct me on this, but taijasa as the dreaming self
composed of light is so close a word to tejasa as the fire of celestial
splendour... imagination at all its levels. Sanskrit and Hinduism is badly
served by translation into English with its familiar associations !

Michael