[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: waking, dreaming, sleeping, as mutually supportive

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:26:56 CDT 2009

Quote: "This has nothing to do with modern secular ideas of equality, but it
has everything to do with developing the qualities needed for a mumukshu.
Please read the prose chapters of upadeSasAhasrI to get Sankara
bhagavatpAda's own words on the subject."

This is truly arbitrary and out of hand rejection of a view of guna-karma
vibhagam that is held fundamental to the Hindu view.  I hope you have had
time to read my fully delineated rendition in my musings posted in this
forum on this subject of Guna in relation to the secular views.

I have also said that varnas are universal but conforming to one's own
dharma is at one's own option that would bring them paapa and punya.  *Thus
there are Brahmanas for example in all the three worlds not merely
Bharathavarsha.*  So many people, in and out of Bharathavarsha, do not
follow their dharma.  Is this not a fact?

*Mumukshuthwam does not come about if a person does not conform to his
dharma.*  Not following would automatically disqualify a Brahmin who has
given a goodbye to his dharma.  Usurpation of another person's dharma is
asuric in nature and our puranaas and ithihaasas illustrate how God meted
out punishments to them.  Do we ignore this and say everyone can do whatever
he wants?

Why would anyone want to talk of Sanyasa Aashrama if he would separate it
from varna?  Where would anyone who is fond of quoting scriptures and
bhaashyas find authority for such convenient separation?  Secualrism neither
recognizes varna nor aashrama.  Secularism holds the view that all have
equal ability (which is only a politically correct statement and not
factual) and all are capable of doing anything given equal chances (whether
the possibility of provision of such equal chances anywhere is another
question).  Is it not a fact?