[Advaita-l] Dakshinamurti Stotram - A Study based on the Manasollasa & the Tattvasudha

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 08:41:55 CDT 2009

I highly recommend this book - volume I of which I obtained way back
in 1996. One list member, Mr. Narayanamurthy, was kind enough to send
me a copy of Vol 2 a while back. Here is my excerpt from a very old
message:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/1997-July/027841.html

>From the shrImukham by H.H:

We shower our nArAyaNasmaraNapUrvaka blessings on our very dear disciple shrI
Subbaramaiya.

[ ... ]

In order to bless seekers of tender disposition, the bhAshyakAra shrI
sha.nkarabhagavatpAdAchArya has gifted many a prakaraNagrantha. **Of these, shrI
daxiNAmUrtistotram.h shines forth as supreme, indicating as it does the full
import of the entire shAstra. It is indeed because of this that seekers would
be able to comprehend effortlessly the full meaning **.

Fortunate indeed are you who have rendered yourself worthy of the benign grace
of our AchAryapAda, studied, in obedience to His command, the vedAntashAstra-s
according to sampradAyA under eminent vidvAn-s and have secured the plenary
experience as well. You have authored a magnum opus after a  deep study of
vedAntashAstra, in order to make known clearly to all people, the full import
of the vedAntashAstra, indicated in this shrIdaxiNAmUrtistotram.h. This work
has been written in English, a world language, with the intention of making it
universally accessible and useful. ** By a deep study and thorough reflection
of this work, one will be able to gain precise knowledge of the
advaitatattva **.

Note that Sri Mahasannidhanam himself asked Sri Subbramaiya to write
the book, and also praises both his traditional learning and actual
anubhava of brahman. The author also had the good fortune of learning
directly from Sri Mahasannidhanam as well as Sri Candrashekhara
Bharati Mahaswami himself. What more can we ask of an author?

Rama