[Advaita-l] A Perspective - 7

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 02:57:50 CST 2009

(continued from the previous posting)

Now let us try to understand the 'mind' in two ways viz.

(i) the 'big mind' which comprises of (a) the 'small mind', (b) the
intellect, (c) "i" the ahamkara and (d) the chittha the memory and

(ii) the 'small mind' that presents the world of objects to the "i" the
ahamkara.  The world of objects is indeed body galore!

The intellect is present only during the waking state and its function is to
straighten out the world of objects presented by the 'small mind' in time
and space in a neatly fashioned way.  This is its role of determination. The
"i" is the one to which the world of objects is presented to and this "i"
'experiences' the world of objects.  The chittha records these experiences
of the "i" constantly.  Thus in waking state all the four parts of the 'big
mind' are present.

The intellect is absent during dream time but the 'small mind' that presents
the world of objects to the "i" is present.  Because of the absence of the
intellect during dream time the world of objects are convoluted and this
confounds the "i".  This confusion is recorded by the chittha.  Thus in the
dream state only the three parts of the 'big mind' viz. the 'small mind',
the "i" and the Chittha are present.

In deep sleep state both the intellect and the 'small mind' are absent.
That leaves only the two entitites viz. the "i" and the chittha to be
present.

*The "i" knows itself by identifying itself with a body presented to it by
the 'small mind'.  This is its self-awareness.* In deep sleep the mind is
absent and so there is no body presented to be identified with.    Thus,
even though "i" is present during deep sleep its self-awareness is not
there.  "Both the world and "i" are not there" is its experience! Such
experience is recorded by the chittha.

*But this chittha also records the 'Ananda' experienced by the "i"!*   This
'Ananda' was not apprehended by the "i" because of lack of self-awareness.
The Vedas bring it the attention of "i" of the existence of this 'Ananda'.

In summation, the "i" is a saakshi for it is present in all the three
states.  Because of its self-awareness is linked to a body that it
identifies itself as "i" it considers itself as kartha and bhoktha in waking
and dream states and non-existent during deep sleep.  However being part of
the 'big mind'it is part of the world of karma and thus it is inert.  Karma
kim param?  Karma thajjadam exclaims Bhagavan Ramana.  Jadam indeed has no
self-awareness.

Yet the awareness was ever present despite the jadam nature of the "i".
That indeed was revealed by the experience of 'Ananda'.  This is first
postulated as the True Saakshi (as in the Geetha verse quoted), however when
the false 'big mind' is rejected by the self-inquiry the survivor is known
as the "I" the True Saakshi that has nothing to witness! Yes, the True
Saakshi is beyond anubhava!  It is pure Ananda.