[Advaita-l] Disccussion on Free-will

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 02:05:53 CDT 2009

Dear Rameshji,

I think sometimes the Advaitic cocept of illusoriness is probably not properly visualised.  Sooner or later one  goes back to one's own eternal home or permanent state ie.the state of oneness with Brahman. At that point of departure one sees that all that one had lived that far was only a dream. But everything was real in the predeparture state or the dream state. Due to reflection of the spiritual nature on the mind some of us get awakened and get a glimpse of our true home or sate. Thereafter this spiritual insight or knowledge controls our way of living and working such that we do not get attached to the dream state and do not do anything to prolong the dreamstate. That knowledge then acts as a guide to decide how the free will (to the extent it is free) is to be exercised keeping our final destination in mind. The spiritual knowledge is the best guide under this condition and that is why Lord Krishna gave the required spiritual guidance to
 Arjuna so that he could decide what was desirable to do. So albeit everything in this life is illusory one has work being guided by the spiritual knowledge and one cannot sit tight just because the world is illusory. If one does not act  then the dream state will only be prolonged. The effects of past karma will appear in our life and we haveto gracefully accept that as inevitable and exercise our free will. So free will does exist as a boon to us and it does not matter if at the end of the dream state it appears as if we did not act at all as we are back to our original state and the the whole past existence appears as a dream. The Sankhya interpretation too is essentially not different except ithat nstead of the dream state we talk about the cltch of Prakriti.