[Advaita-l] Time

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Mar 29 03:19:21 CDT 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Michael Shepherd wrote:

> So it raises the question for non-Hindus : do the individual darshana --
> such as, in this case, Advaita Vedanta -- say more, or less, about a
> specific topic because of 'keeping half an eye' on the definitions of the
> other darshana; as Adi Shankara sometimes does verbally or by implication ?

In the case of issues like time, I think Advaitins accepted the samkhya -
vaisheshika etc. definitions simply because they didn't really care.
Thats why we accept the modern scientific definitions just as easily.
It's not really any of our business.

But darshans such as purva mimamsa or yoga which deal more with issues on
Vedantas "turf" so to speak do sometimes get defered to in the manner you
suggest.