[Advaita-l] Adi Shankara's works on Surya Bhagawan

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:51:28 CDT 2009

Apart from the possible references in prapancasAra, we

must note that Aditya is the devatA in many upanishad

upAsana-s. Numerous references are strewn through the

corresponding bhAshyas, albeit not in a "devotional" sense.

Specifically, in the discussions of krama-mukti, those who

worship saguNa brahman and depart along the devayAna

after death, are said to go to the Aditya-loka, which for

Sankara, is the same as brahmaloka. See the fourth section

of the brahmasUtra bhAshya, for instance.

Furthermore, sUrya is worshipped in the sandhyA worship

that is to be done by every brahmacArin. As Swami

Chandrasekhara Bharati of Sringeri once explained to a

devotee, it is really the highest brahman that is worshipped

here, sUrya being a symbol of brahman. This is true for

worship of vishNu, Siva, devI and other forms of saguNa

brahman too.

Vidyasankar