[Advaita-l] kUTastha

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 18:09:45 CST 2009

Dear Jaldhar Vyasji,

Namaste,

Yes, being or remaining in the peak (of the mountain) may be  the more appropriate meaning than being on a heap (of trash). Kuta means "Apex".

In Mahabharata we have the Kuta slokas which confuse even the scholars and these Kuta slokas are definitely very intelligently composed verses. For example  Vedavyasa said that at the time of the Mahabharata war that Saturn  was staying in Visakha for one year. This was an astronomical datum. Then Vedavyasa also said that Saturn was giving trouble to Rohini and this is an astrological datum. It is very unfortunate that all astronomers, without exception, discarded the real astronomical datum  and accepted the astrological datum to be the astronomical datum, as they could not interpret Vedavyasa's composition. For their stiudies in dating of the Mahabharata war they took the graha Saturn to be in Rohini in place of Visakha.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya