[Advaita-l] chid-aabhaasa

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Mar 2 00:29:46 CST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Pranipata wrote:

> Hence citAbhAsa is different both from antaHkarana assemblage(mind,
> intellect, memory, ego) and Atman(cit)/caitanya.

This puzzled me at first but now upon reading the panchadashi more
closely, I see why you put it this way.

8:34-36 refutes several arguments that chidAbhAsa is the same as the
intellect (dhI or buddhI).  (Translation is from Swami Swahananda with
some minor changes by myself)

nahi dhIbhAvabhAvitvAdAbhAso'sti dhiyaH pR^ithak |
iti chedalpamevoktaM dhIrapyevaM svadehataH || 34 ||

Objection: chidAbhAsa is not different from the intellect because its
existence depends on the existence of the intellect.

Reply: You say little, for the intellect itself might also be similiarly
regarded as not different from the body.[1]

[1] The intellect depends for its functioning on the body and functions
only in certain specific states of the body.

dehe mR^ite'pi buddhishchechchhAstrAdasti tathAsati |
buddheranyashchidAbhAsaH praveshashrutiShu shrutaH || 35 ||

Objection: The shastras declare the survival of the intellect after the
body falls (and therefore the intellect is the same as chidAbhAsa.)

Reply: According to the Shruti passages which declare the entry of the
Atman into the body, chidAbhAsa is distinct from the intellect.[1]

[1] See Brhadaranyaka 4.4.2, Aitereya 1.3.12, and Taittiriya 2.6

dhIyuktasya praveshashchaennaitareye dhiyaH pR^ithak |
AtmA praveshaM sa~Nkalpya praviShTa iti gIyate || 36 ||

Objection ChidAbhAsa and the intellect enter the body together.

Reply: This is not so. For in the Aitereya Upanishad it is said that the
Self enters the body by its own will apart from the intellect.[1]

[1] see the reference to Aitereya Upanishad in the previous shloka.

The other interesting thing about the pa~nchadashis exposition is that
chidAbhAsa is compared to kuTastha.  This term refers to the Atma as
silent witness (sAkShi). Literally it means "standing on a mountain"
Perhaps the image to be conveyed is of an eagle or other bird of prey that
watches motionless on a mountain peak before swooping down to catch its
victim.  AFAIK, this word is used in the Gita but not in the upanishads.
chidAbhAsa is the reflection of kuTastha.