[Advaita-l] vanaprastha in community

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 03:52:04 CDT 2009

Namaste Shri Shrinivas,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Since the Veda is 'unknown,
formless, eternal, and always present' in essence, and available to all, it
must surely always be in a potentiality of reformulation according to need
and time -- or so it seems to me.

It cannot be an accident that mankind is allowed today to live longer -- and
(until commerce finds a way of keeping us tied to machines until 80 or so !)
there is a chance for us to live a rich life in community after 'retiring'
from work -- and in the course of it, as you say, work to release samashti
from the bonds of vyashti !

That was why I put my question; but it's always good to enquire what the
inherited formulated Veda might have to say on the subject. There may not so
much be the will to become sannyasin these days, but vanaprastha is
available to all in its essence , as what is called today the 'third age' !

And we might guess that as these things run, an increased understanding of
vanaprastha will lead to a new understanding of sannyasa ?

With regards,
Michael