[Advaita-l] Pancikarana vs. Trvrtkarana (Analysis)

Michael Shepherd michael at shepherd87.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 14:02:01 CDT 2009

Vidyasankarji,

Thank you for bringing us nearer to the crux of the matter -- which as I see
it, is the question of whether Creation expands from Brahman in a mechanical
sequence of elements from akasha -- as the Chandogya in earlier chapters and
the Taittiiriya and Briha indicate; or whether as the Chandogya implies,
fire, water, and earth as food, have 'special status' in collaborative
creative powers acting together ?

I'm with Deussen, 1912,  in taking it that this creative process could not
take place without akasha and vayu already being in place to permit this...
that's why reducing it to some '5 v 3' seems to me to demean the discussion.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the processes of collaborative action by
the elements in creation which the Upanishads did not see the need to
discuss in detail, can have light thrown on it by science; without any
disrespect to the Vedanta, but in the spirit of Advaita.. but some may feel
that this would be an extra-mural activity !

Might for instance, a thunderstorm or a fit of pure anger be examples, in
their way, of the elements at play together ? ;)

Michael