[Advaita-l] Gayatri?

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 06:24:10 CDT 2009

Dear Jaldharji,

Thank you for a detailed reply.

One reason for allowing uapanayana for some women in the ancient times could be that the fathers  of such women were vedic rishis themselves , whose  own ashramas were the gurukuls, where the boys came from outside and stayed for their education. In such a situation the rishis could initiate their own daughters to Vedic studies after performing the upanayana. In case of women probably the rishis were allowed to override the custom (or was it an injunction?) that father should not be the teacher. I think Kanve Muni taught the Vedas to his adopted daughter Shakuntala the same way. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly I read long ago that the vedic education was strictly for the Brahmanas in the Satya yuga. It was relaxed for Kshatriyas in the Treta yuga. The Vaishyas could learn vedas in the Dwapara yuga. In Kaliyuga the rstrictions were further relaxed. Further even in the ancient times some discretions were also permitted as otherwise how could Sayakama, being a low-born have learnt the Vedas.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya