[Advaita-l] Advaita Vedanta, religion, and science‏

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 13:54:59 CST 2009

<< When the finer differences are seen through the magnifying glass of Adi Sankara you will see the fatal errors in Buddhism.>>

Lord Buddha has been misunderstood by many scholars. In Lord Buddha's time the brahmins were very ritualistic and they read the scriptures including the Vedas without caring to know the real meaning of the scriptures. They also gave up meditation and practised animal sacrifice. At this juncture what he did was  to restore the basics that all the sufferings are due to one's own karma and he prescribed the eightfold path that also included meditation, to get out of the sufferings. He said that the ego-self (or in simple word the individual identity) is not permanent.  He did not teach metaphysics at that stage as that was not the need of the day and at that time he also discouraged any probing questions on those aspects.

Later on when he was nearing sixty Lord Buddha relented  and taught the concepts of Tathagataharbha, Shunyata  and about the different Kayas including Bodhakaya to his advanced disciples. Towards the end of his life he taught the Tantric aspects to his most advanced disciples. Yet many finer points were left for the future Jnani Buddha or Maitreya Buddha (who would take birth in a brahmin family) to explain. The theosophist A.P.Sinnett said that Adi sankaracharya was the Lord Buddha reborn. Irrespective of whether that is true or not, the fact remains that Lord Buddha did not say it all and he did not say anything wrong. Vishnu Purana tells that Lord Buddha would create confusion and that really happened as he gave different teachings at different levels. To this day the Hinayanis do not believe that Lord Buddha ever gave the Mahayana teachings. The Mahayanis believe that the Hinayana teachings are not the all that Lord Buddha taught. Even now
 many scholars do not appreciate the three-tier teachings of Lord Budddha. In the "The Sayings of Muhammad", compiled by Suhrawardy, we find that Prophet Mahammad told his followers that God gave him two types of knowledge and he is giving them only one type as they would not understand the other type. Probably prophet Mahammad knew that everybody did not have the receptive capacity for higher knowledge. We do not yet know if the prophet could give the higher knowledge to anybody.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya