[Advaita-l] Advaita Vedanta, religion, and science

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Jan 10 10:41:24 CST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

V Ramani wrote:

> I do not believe in any religion and a pure advaiti.

We must take exception to the notion that being a pure advaiti is in
anyway the same as "not believ[ing] in any religion."  Advaita Vedanta is
grounded in one particular religion -- that of the Vedas and the shastras
dependent on them.  All teachers of Advaita Vedanta from Gaudapadacharya
and Shankaracharya to the paramacharya who advised you have believed this.

> The truth of Advaita is to be understood with Biology and all the
> sciences, society etc. As brahman is eternal, life of human can also be
> eternal by upcoming sciences such as nano technology. Once man becomes
> immortal brahman can be realised by everyone in this world.

Brahman can be realized by everyone in this world _right_now_.  The very
reason it is is possible is that it is _not_ dependent on the body or
other externalities.  I look forward to scientific progress too but not
because it will help the pursuit of jnana at all.