[Advaita-l] How to control the mind (without meditation)?

Suresh mayavaadi at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 09:51:13 CST 2009

Dear Friends,

Mind control seems important. But is it possible to do this without meditation? Because, first off, meditation isn't easy. Second, we need to be in control at all times, not just during meditation. I normally try to view everything as an illusion during the waking state, that's all I can do. Meditating on Brahman is out of question, since Brahman cannot be imagined or thought of in any form.

What else can one do to control our thoughts, and not be swept away by this current? It gets so hard sometimes, I am not exaggerating at all. All kinds of thoughts come to one's mind, and it's especially hard when they're emotions like hatred, violence etc. It's like you're a plaything in their hands.

Is there some method in advaita (not necessarily meditation, it could be anything) that can help us conquer all this? I am not exactly the devotional type either, so praying and bhakti are totally alien to me.

Warmly,
Suresh