[Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 22:37:50 CST 2009

--- On Thu, 2/19/09, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Dreams and Reality
To: mayavaadi at yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 4:14 PM

Dear friend,

As the world is mutable every worldly thing of the past gradually loses significance ie they do not have the present reality. A person of evolved soul can see the past births and these appear to him or her as mere dreams. Lord Buddha could see his past births and realised that he had achieved the true enlightenment. When the Advaitin realises the truth all the past individual existences and the separateness in all worldly things appear to him as nothing but dream(s). This perception of dream occurs due to realisation of the final truth.

As regards the other type of dreams, that you are referring to, these are mental constructions, however abnormal they may appear to you, should you manage to remember them on waking up. An artist can draw a flying man and at that time he would be dreaming about it, albeit he is awake to others. The reasons for this type of dreaming may have previous cause which make one to dream in a particular way or may even be a work of the sub-conscious mind. Some dreams may even be the premonitions of impending events.

Sincerely,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya