[Advaita-l] Svarita TP Rules

Naresh Cuntoor nareshpc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 09:40:27 CST 2009

> pluta has no connection with the accenting. pluta refers to duration
> of the sound, in the case of pluta refers specifically to the svaras
> a, i and u (svara is the technical term for a vowel in the TP and not
> to be confused with svara used for accents in common parlance).
> svarita is an accent - or the tone: high, low ,medium etc.

Yes. No confusion between svaras in say, music and svaras in TP or in
the Paninian sense. And no confusion between accenting and duration
either.
What I meant was that the elongation at the end in svAhA(A), I thought
was a pluta. Unless I am misunderstanding, you referred to them as
dIrgha svarita (referrign to your comments below). My question was not
about the accent, which is svarita.

> The hrasva and dIrgha svaritas are not really technical terms found in
> the TP. This distinction is unknown to, or not specified at any rate,
> by the TP. These refer to the 1 upward stroke and two upward strokes
> found in some modern texts respectively.

If the two upward strokes (eg., above the mI in agnimILe ) is called a
dIrgha, then it would be indistinguishable from the usual dIrgha svara
(which incidentally may be in udAtta/anudAtta). Eg., the dIrgha shI in
 sahasrashIrSha puruShaH.

At any rate, the mI in agnimILe is certainly longer in duration than dIrgha.

Naresh