[Advaita-l] SRI SUKTAM - Meaning

Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com
Thu Feb 12 16:30:01 CST 2009

>I'll quote some of the relevant sUtras later. Not sure what you mean
>by "small adjustment". But in summary: the svarita is supposed to be
>udAtta in pitch in the beginning and reach the anudAtta tone at the
>end. The prAtishAkhya is very firm about this - there are no two ways
>of understanding this (uccair udAttaH, nIcair anudAttaH, samAhAraH
>svaritaH, etc).

I am referring to the seven sUtras immediately following these three in
the taittirIya prAtiSAkhya - from tasyAdir uccaistarAm udAttAd antare
up to  ... pravaNa ity eke. I see a very clear application of these
rules in
the svaras used in a mantra such as tryambakaM yajAmahe, as also
in the construction of the vikRti pATha-s (jaTA, ghana etc.)

But all this gets to be too technical, so perhaps we can discuss
privately?

Vidyasankar